On April 13, 2020, the Wharton Global Youth Program announced the top three teams in Region 3 of the 2019-2020 KWHS Investment Competition. Student competitors, advisors and judges logged on at 6:00 p.m. eastern time for a live Zoom webinar led by Wharton Global Youth executive director, Eli Lesser.
Region 3 (North America, Europe, Africa and Oceania) had 260 competing teams, including 1,328 students and 115 advisors. The top 12 teams in the region, which submitted final videotaped presentations on March 23 that were judged virtually, joined Monday night’s webinar to discover which three teams would advance to the competition Global Finale.
And the Region 3 winners are:
- 1st Place: Over the Moon Investments, Maclay School, Florida, U.S.
- 2nd Place: Compass Capital, Walter Payton College Prep, Illinois, U.S.
- 3rd Place: Females in Finance, Ethical Culture Fieldston School, New York, U.S.
A panel of industry judges reviewed each of the top 12 reports and selected the winners. They were: Claire Kinney, W’82 and WG’86, (Former) Managing Director, Wells Capital Management; Jonathan Coslet, W’87, Chief Investment Officer, TPG; Heather Crist, Head of Field Engagement, UBS Wealth Management USA; and Jeanette Ourada, WG’92, (Former) Vice President & Corporate Comptroller at Chevron.
“In my experience in business, diverse teams almost always deliver superior results.” — Jeanette Ourada, Region 3 Judge
Ourada spoke to the teams during the Zoom announcement. “All of you are further along in your finance journey than I was at your age. I didn’t really discover finance until I was a graduate student at Wharton,” noted Ourada. “I was so impressed with the quality of your video presentations. You all did a very good job demonstrating the financial knowledge that you learned through the course of the competition. The other thing I would applaud is you articulating your journey as a team. That was sometimes just as complicated as understanding those financial concepts. The other thing I noticed is the diversity of the teams. In my experience in business, diverse teams almost always deliver superior results.”
Competition “client” Reshma Sohoni, for whom all 533 competing teams around the world created their investment strategies, wished the Region 3 finalists well in a special video message.
The April 13 Region 3 results complete the 2019-2020 investment competition regional finals round. Following the virtual announcement on April 7 of the Region 1 winners and the previous Region 4 and Region 2 events held in February in Brazil and India, we have identified the top three teams from each region.
Here are this year’s best teams (by order of region and regional-final placement) that will be competing in the virtual Wharton Global High School Investment Competition Global Finale on May 8, 2020:
- Money Scooper, Shanghai High School International Division, Shanghai, China
- SH Reeves, Shanghai High School International Division, Shanghai, China
- Plutus, Saint Paul Preparatory School, Seoul, South Korea
- East Capital K, United World College of South East Asia, Singapore
- Scion Capital, Jayshree Periwal International School, Jaipur, India
- Mavericks, Amity International School, Sector-46, Gurugram, India
- Maple Tree Capital, Colégio Santa Cruz, São Paulo, Brazil
- Lions of Wall Street, St. Paul’s School, São Paulo, Brazil
- Eagles Value Added, Graded American School of São Paulo, Brazil
- Over the Moon Investments, Maclay School, Florida, U.S.
- Compass Capital, Walter Payton College Prep, Illinois, U.S.
- Females in Finance, Ethical Culture Fieldston School, New York, U.S.
Congratulations to the top 12 investment competition teams from around the globe!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned to the KWHS Bulletin for the results. Visit the Wharton Global Youth High School Investment Competition page for details about the upcoming 2020-2021 competition season.