The Global Young Leaders Academy (GYLA) selects 45 students for each session and provides a two-week intensive summer experience at Wharton. It adopts an entrepreneurial theme to give students a taste of accounting, marketing, management and finance knowledge. Students are required to develop a team-based business plan at the end.
2017 Session Dates:
Session A: June 4 – June 18, 2017
Session B: June 18 – July 2, 2017
Session C: July 9 – July 23, 2017
Session D: July 23 – August 6, 2017
Eligibility: Current international high school students (9th to 12th grades) with demonstrated academic accomplishments and a strong interest in business. Many may not have a business curriculum in their schools. Students must be at least 15 years of age upon start date of the program.
Program location: The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, United States
Program fee: $5,110 plus a refundable security deposit of US $500. It covers tuition, activities, housing, most meals, ground transportation and medical insurance while at the program. However, it does not cover airfare, international travel insurance or visa costs.
- Business discussions with Wharton faculty
- In-depth learning on core business concepts and skills from select KWHS high school teachers
- Interactive college admissions workshops
- Bonding with selected Penn undergraduate students who serve as your academic advisors, through group projects and cultural activities
- Opportunity to work in a team and create a step-by-step business plan
- Visits to local startups and Q&A with executives
- Participation in a community service project
- Weekend field trips to Washington, D.C., Six Flags Great Adventure and New York City
Application fee: Free. We encourage students from all backgrounds to apply.
Application deadline: Application is on a rolling basis.
- A completed online application
- High school transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher/school counselor
- A 500-word essay
Please apply here through our event collaborator Braingain Magazine.
*The admission process for the program is completely independent to that of Penn or Wharton. Participation in the KWHS Global Young Leaders Academy does NOT guarantee admission into Penn or Wharton.